In 2012, Potel et Chabot and the Fondation Hospitalière Sainte Marie got together to develop a joint project that was launched in April 2013. Its aim is to stimulate the attention, memory and sensory awareness of Alzheimer patients.
On 22, 23 and 24 April, then again on 9, 10 and 11 September, Potel et Chabot opened its doors to a group of elderly Alzheimer patients.
After visiting Potel et Chabot's premises at 3 rue de Chaillot on the first day, the patients then donned chef's hats and jackets for a two-day pastry-making workshop.
These workshops aim to stimulate the patients':
- Cognitive awareness: procedural memory and executive functioning, longer-term memory, practical coordination, attention/concentration;
- Nutritional awareness: the importance of good eating habits;
- Inter-personal skills: self-confidence and relations with others, desire for and pleasure in social contact;
- Functional skills: indoor and outdoor walking tours;
- Ethical awareness: iconic location, high-quality reception.
Certain patients showed an excellent response to these workshops, demonstrating the real effectiveness of non-medical treatments.
On 21 September, we all did our bit to support World Alzheimer’s action day!